Old About Us 2
Based in the Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia, Wild Horizons is a multi-faceted business with its common link being the outdoors. It is owned and operated by Huw Kingston.
Event Promotion & Organization
We organize a number of large adventure events in Australia. Over the past 15 years we have run some 50 major events including the Highland Fling, with 2000 riders, Australia’s largest MTB Marathon , the Polaris MTB Challenge, Australia’s first mass participation endurance mountain bike, the Urban Polaris, the Paddle Polaris. In 2009 we launched the 5 day, 400km DT Swiss Mountains To Beach stage race and the 3 Ring Circus enduro. For full details see our events page.
We also offer a full contract event management service. This can range from advising on aspects of an event to the full running or management of an event.
Tours & Instruction
Wild Horizons run a number of outdoor adventure holidays. Over the past 25 years this has included Mountain biking in Australia and Asia, XC Ski and Ski Touring holidays/instruction in Australia and Europe, Ski Touring in the Indian Himalaya and Trekking in the Himalaya.
We specialize in tailoring adventures to your requirements. This can include mountain biking, ski touring, XC ski instruction and bushwalking throughout Australia. Also overseas destinations (Indian Himalaya, UK/Europe). Tell us where you want to go and what you want to do and we'll help if we can.
Writing & Photography
Words and images on outdoor topics and expeditions and journeys. Also copywriting for outdoor catalogues/adverts/training manuals etc.
- Quality images on a large range of outdoor topics from Australia and overseas - walking, ski touring, sea kayaking, river canoeing, mountain biking, travel, humour etc etc.
- Illustrated Articles on journeys as stand alone pieces. In 2004 Huw completed the City2City project, a series of 7 personal journeys linking the Australian state capitals by following the most interesting and challenging human powered routes (cycling, walking, skiing, river and sea canoeing) and involved some 25,000km of travel. See http://www.wildhorizons.com.au/city2city. This project ultimately covered a huge proportion of the 'classic' outdoor destinations in Australia as well as many unknown/rarely visited places. If you're looking for something on a particular place/walk etc then there's a good chance I'll have walked/paddled/ridden/skied there/it.
- Illustrated Articles on overseas 'destinations' - Whether it be ski touring in India, MTB racing in East Timor or Mongolia, walking in Europe and a whole lot more
- Equipment Reviews/Reports - Testing and reporting on outdoor/cycling gear bringing to bear many years experience in design and marketing of specialist equipment aligned with over 25 years experience of using it.
- How to Articles - With vast experience in 'doing' things in the outdoors as well as instructing/training people, I'm well qualified to pen pieces that help people enjoy their time in the outdoors more.
- Ski Touring/Telemarking / XC Skiing related pieces - As a committed ski tourer but also as a leader of commercial ski tours and XC ski instructor.
- More 'thought provoking' pieces - debates, conservation vs access, fears etc etc.
Design & Marketing Consultancy
After a number of positions in the outdoor equipment industry in both Australia and UK, Wild Horizons was originally set up in 1992 as a design/marketing consultancy targeted at both the equipment and outdoor leisure industries. Such work includes design/sourcing of outdoor equipment for major brands in Europe/Australia, design and implementation of marketing materials (catalogues/adverts etc) and product testing.
PO Box 218
Tel 02 4883 6509
Fax 02 4883 6239